Monday, March 24, 2008

For Heather, my motivator!

I was just thinking I should write again when I checked the comments from the previous post. My dear cousin invited me to write some more. Thanks Heather!

This weekend I visited a friend's farm and toured their coop and incubator and brooder. The teenage boy of the family taught me so much about the kinds of equipment I need and where to get it. My husband made this contact for me and even said he'd go to the auction next weekend to look at buying some equipment. WOW! He's been reluctant so this is very cool.

I held my first grown up chicken. The Australorp breed pictured at the bottom of this page is the one the boy handed me. I was so excited. You can't believe how soft they are. The feet are kind of scaly and might take some getting used to, but that doesn't bother me. (Former science teacher, remember?) This sweet chicken just sat on my one hand while I supported her underneath with my other. Now this boy is more the farmer-type, these are egg layers and meat birds...not pets. My babies will be spoiled rotten and loved to pieces.

I set up my brooder as soon as I got home from the farm. It's on the basement in a little area with a counter up off the cold floor and easy for me to get to without bending over. The heat lamp is set up and ready to go. Now just waiting for the baby girls to arrive! I promise to post pictures eventually. For now here's one of what the babies will look like:

4 comments:

mrc-w said...

Oooh I love how soft chickens are!
I can't wait to see your girls :)

JoannCryderman said...

I'm SO excited! I can't wait for them to come! And just as excited that your hubby is getting board. That will make it even more fun!

Kelle said...

YAY! I lost the link to your blog and then found it today!!! I wanna see those cute widdle girls! Miss you...can't wait to see you at Molly's wedding!

Kulio said...

I can't wait!!!! Wow and I got a headline - I'm famous! :-) hee. I love reading about the hubby too - tell if he has any luck at the auction!