Saturday, April 12, 2008

Coop in progress and still waiting

Well, the donated shed didn't work out so we're back at square one. The shed was huge and falling apart. Mike and I shopped at Lowes today and priced out the lumber needed. I think we may start building this weekend. (YAY!) I'll try to get pictures of that process. Should be interesting since neither of us is very good at carpentry. If any of our friends and family are reading this...you might get a phone call asking for advice or tools to borrow. :0)



I found some cool plans online for a 6'x6' coop that's 8 feet tall. Here's the link for those of you planning to start this hobby, like Diane! www.buildeazy.com/chicken_coop_8.html that will get you there and you can choose different parts of the plan to look over.



My brooder works! I heated up the heat lamp and got it to stay 95 degrees. Now we just need the chicks. While we wait I'll post a picture of my real baby chicks, my kids: Ryan, Jessie, and Parker. Also known as my coop cleaners! Now they're groaning in the background, reading over my shoulder, wish you could hear it!

3 comments:

mrc-w said...

I love the pictures of your human "chicks" :) Too bad about the shed, but it will probably be a lot of fun to build your own. Eli and I built ours with some help from my dad and we really learned alot through the process.

Janice said...

I'm so excited about your chicks! What a cool adventure for you and the fam. The kids and I will have to come over and see them.

Thanks for blogging it all - very educational!

Kulio said...

We're waiting right along with you!!! Can't wait!

Love those pics - wow, they're gorgeous :-)